In Remembrance: VK6GM

posted Aug 11, 2017, 11:56 PM by Glynn Davies
For the Remembrance Day contest, we commemorate amateur radio operators who died during World War 2. I’d also like to take today to remember an outstanding VK6 operator who play a part in protecting our great nation during the war - GEORGE ARTHUR MOSS – Victor-Kilo-Six-Golf-Mike – now silent key.

This was written by Cliff Bastin VK6LZ for VK6GM's 92nd birthday celebration in 1995.

I’d like to acknowledge Cliff in putting this tribute together.

George joined the Western Australian Division of the WIA in 1925 and at this occasion was its longest standing member.

He served the WA Division as Secretary during 1935/36, and as President in 1946 and 1947.

In 1938 he was named as the inaugural winner of the Carl Cohen trophy for amateur radio research in Western Australia.

During the same year he attended the World Radio Convention in Sydney as the WIA delegate at the invitation of the NSW Government.

His contribution to amateur radio was recognised in 1965 when he was made a life member of the WIA.

George first became interested in communications and things electrical at the end of Word War I.

In 1923 he built his first wireless, a crystal set in order to receive the time signal and weather report from the Wireless Hill Coastal Radio Station. For this he was required to obtain a TEN SHILLING experimenter’s licence.

It was during this period he decided to become a Radio Amateur.

In order to practice morse with a friend who lived several houses away, George constructed a device which enabled him to transmit signals utilising the 250 volt power mains, relying on a couple of home-made foil and paper capacitors to isolate the mains from the headphones, however, they both managed to survive.

In 1926 George passed his Amateur licence examination, and was issued with the call sign Alpha-Six Golf-Mike.

In the early 1930's his station broadcast music three nights a week, and became extremely popular due to his ready access to the latest record releases through his employer.

George first obtained paid employment in 1921 with a firm specialising in piano maintenance.

His mastery of tuning was materially assisted his recently acquired knowledge of beating frequencies.

In the late 1920's he took charge of the Radio Servicing Division of one of Perth's largest musical establishments, shortly before it opened a commercial radio station.

In order to participate in its operation, George obtained a Broadcast Station Operator's licence.

He commenced his academic career in 1938, when he took over the lecture program in radio theory at the Perth Technical College, and the following year George inaugurated radio apprentice training in WA.


With the onset of World War II, George was seconded half-time to teach Army Radar trainees, where he obtained his First Class Commercial Operators Certificate in 1942, in case his services should be required.

With the end of the war, he obtained his Diploma in Communications, and became a full time lecturer, an occupation he continued to pursue until his retirement in 1969, however his involvement with teaching continued part-time for another 17 years.

George Arthur Moss, VK6GM, became Silent Key in June 2000 – aged 97.

Today, we remember him – for his service to country – and his love for radio.

Now your key is silent – may you rest in peace.

You can find a copy of the original tribute to George, on a historic link at